The Diocese of Saskatchewan was created in 1873 by an act of the Synod of the Diocese of Rupert's Land. Approval for this action had been granted by the Anglican Church Missionary Society (CMS) in 1872. The first bishop of the new diocese, John McLean, was consecrated in 1874 and took up residence in Prince Albert in 1875.
Originally the Diocese of Saskatchewan included most of the south and north-central areas of the present-day civil provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta, and a small portion of northern Manitoba. In 1884 the Diocese of Assiniboine (later Qu'Appelle) was created in the south-east.
At the same time the Diocese acquired more territory of what is now northern Saskatchewan and Alberta, and a larger portion of Manitoba, including present day The Pas and the Devon Mission areas. In 1888 the Diocese of Calgary was created from its south western flank, with the Diocese of Edmonton being created sometime thereafter. Saskatchewan gave up the last of its Alberta and Manitoba territory in 1927 and 1933 respectively. In 1933 the Diocese split again into a northern part, the Diocese of Saskatchewan based in Prince Albert, and a southern part, the Diocese of Saskatoon. The last division was painful and highly controversial at the time. A compromise was reached by which the southern diocese around the new see of Saskatoon was granted the Charter to assure its link with the early history, and some of the historic endowments and debts; the northern diocese would return to its roots as a primarily aboriginal missionary organization and would retain the name, some of the endowments, Bishop McLean's seal, archives and the episcopal properties. It was granted a new Charter to replace the ceded one in 1933 and a new episcopal endowment from an anonymous donor in England. All the subsequent bishops of both dioceses would claim succession to Bishop McLean.
1874-1886 John McLean
1887-1903 William Cyprian Pinkham
1903-1921 Jervois Arthur Newnham
1922-1931 George Exton Lloyd
1931-1932 William Thomas Thompson Hallam
1933-1939 Walter Burd
1939-1959 Henry David Martin
1960-1970 William Henry Howes Crump
1970-1985 Hedley Vicars Roycroft Short
1985-1993 Thomas Oliver Morgan
1993- Anthony John Burton
Suffragan Bishops of the Diocese of Saskatchewan:
1989 - Charles John Arthurson
At the time of his election in 1993, Bishop Anthony Burton was the youngest bishop in the world-wide Anglican Communion, and the youngest Canadian bishop that century. More than fourteen years later he is the second-youngest of the Canadian bishops, though now one of the most senior and experienced of them. He has just concluded a term as Chair of the Council of the North (representing a third of Canada's dioceses and 85% of its geography). He serves as Co-Chair of the Anglican-Roman Catholic Dialogue and as the Episcopal Visitor to the South American Missionary Society, as well as patron or officer of a variety of institutions, societies and organizations. At the recent General Synod he was elected to its executive committee, the Council of General Synod, and has since been elected by that Council to its planning committee.
Born and raised in Ottawa, Bishop Burton studied at the University of Toronto, Dalhousie University, and Oxford University. He was ordained in the Diocese of Nova Scotia, where he served in two parishes on Cape Breton Island, at which time he married Anna Erickson, a native of California. They moved in 1991 to Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, where he served as Dean and Rector of St. Alban’s Cathedral. They have two children—Caroline (13) and Peter (11). Bishop Burton has many interests, particularly church growth, Spanish language and culture, and choral music. He is an enthusiastic runner.
Our Suffragan (assistant) Bishop Charles Arthurson was the first aboriginal bishop in Canada.
Born in 1937 in Norway House, Manitoba, Dr. Arthurson was ordained in 1972 in the Diocese of Keewatin. He has served in the parishes of Shamattawa, 1966-70 (as Catechist); Norway House, Man. (1972-73); Big Trout Lake, Ont. (1974-76); Split Lake, Man. (1976-78); Sioux Lookout, Ont. (1978-83).
In 1983 the Arthursons moved to La Ronge, Sask., whence he was elected Suffragan Bishop in 1989. Bishop Arthurson continues to reside in La Ronge where he serves half time as the parish priest. The other half of his time is spent in episcopal ministry. He is currently the Provincial Chaplain for the Royal Canadian Legion.
Dr. Arthurson married school teacher Faye Bryer in 1968. The Arthursons have two adult children, Devon and Ritchie. Dr. Arthurson is an enthusiastic hockey player for the La Ronge 'Rusty Hookers', and a skilled carpenter.
This book-length history was written for the centennial of the Diocese by Archdeacon W.F. Payton. It has been digitized and posted to the internet by Project Canterbury. Click here to read it...
This 1866 bulletin from the Church Missionary Society discusses the Rev. Henry Budd whose wife, adult son, and teenage daughter had died in the span of six weeks.
Bishop John McLean gives an account of his travels in the Diocese of Saskatchewan (and parts of the present-day Diocese of Brandon) in the period immediately following the Riel Rebellion of 1885.
Growth of the Church in the Diocese of Saskatchewan from 1900 to 1924 by Canon W.H. English
Harold Kemp meets the son of the first Rector of Stanley Mission and learns from him some details about the construction of the church, particularly how the first shipment of glass was lost in the Churchill rapids and the congregation had to make due with parchment.